Rafael Nadal is still planning to retire in 2024.

The 37-year-old said in May that he would have to leave the sport in order to try to return stronger due to the hip injury he sustained at the Australian Open in January.




0

Rafael Nadal, a Spanish tennis player, repeated on Monday that he still intends to retire in 2024, while acknowledging that he has undergone two operations to try and heal a hip issue.

Nadal told Movistar, "I said that possibly 2024 was my last year, I maintain that, but I can't confirm it 100% because I don't know."
On Monday, 22-time Grand Slam champion Nadal maintained his desire to "play again and be competitive again."

So that people are not confused, my hope is not to return to win Roland Garros or (in) Australia; all of those events are far off, he added.

"I am well aware of the challenges I face, of which ageing and physical issues are the two most intractable.

"Playing again and being competitively inclined gives me hope."

With regard to his hip ailment, Nadal underwent two surgeries, the first of which he disclosed in June and whose recovery time was estimated to be five months.