Alcaraz's Davis Cup absence is defended by Djokovic.

After falling to Daniil Medvedev in the US Open semifinals, Alcaraz withdrew from the final group stage, claiming he needed a break.




Carlos Alcaraz missed this week's Davis Cup matches, but Novak Djokovic jumped in to defend him on Thursday, stating that while he may be young, he is not Superman.

After falling to Daniil Medvedev in the US Open semifinals, Alcaraz withdrew from the final group stage, claiming he needed a break.

When Spain fell to the Czech Republic 3-0 in their opening Group C match on Wednesday in Valencia, they might have used the world number two.

"Maybe you guys are upset he's not playing for Spain, because he's 20 years old and I'm 36, and how he's tired and I'm not," Djokovic said to the Spanish media in Valencia, where Serbia will play Spain on Friday.
It's critical to realise that he still has a long way to go.
At Flushing Meadows, Djokovic overcame Medvedev to win his record-tying 24th Grand Slam. He continued, "You can't forget that he played for Spain last year.

He won the US Open the previous year, and a short while later, he was playing for his heart and his love of his nation here.

The world number one remembered the controversy he caused by electing not to represent Serbia in the yearly men's team competition.

I have repeatedly opted out of the Davis Cup because I am aware of the negative fallout and response from my nation. He said, "There is a lot of hostility when you opt out of playing for your country.
Always being perfect and accessible is challenging. We participate in an individual sport where you can represent both your nation and yourself. He has participated in several events.

"Even though he's 20 years old, that doesn't make him a Superman," Djokovic continued.

He should also get some rest. In all honesty, it's better for us, the Serbian squad, that he isn't here, but I'm sure he'll return and bring Spain a lot of happiness.

Viktor Troicki, Serbia's Davis Cup captain, decided to rest Djokovic for his nation's opening 3-0 victory over South Korea on Tuesday.

Nevertheless, despite a lengthy season, he declared that he was prepared to aid Serbia in its effort to advance to the knockout finals in Malaga next month.

"After a demanding few months with lots of matches, I don't feel particularly fresh, but I believe this is a positive exhaustion for the success I had in America.

"There isn't much time for recovery; I have to try and maintain the intensity and try to do everything I can to adjust my body and myself to the new time zone and new conditions and contribute to my country with the points," the athlete said.